The Master of Education (M.Ed.) by Coursework Degree Programme is a postgraduate professional training programme that aims to enhance the professional development of personnel in the field of education, particularly teachers, teacher educators, curriculum developers and educational administrators, especially those who are involved in human resource development in the educational services, in public and private educational institutions.
Candidates of this programme can opt to study on a part-time or full-time basis.
There are two major components in the programme:
Coursework (32 units)
Research (8 units)
1. Specialization Courses (8 - 16 units)
Candidates have to major in one educational field. The areas of specialisation currently being offered are:
- Curriculum Studies
- Educational Management and Administration
- Educational Psychology
- Educational Technology and Multimedia
- English Language Education/TESOL
- Guidance and Counselling
- Psychometrics and Educational Measurement
- Science Education
2. Knowledge Development Courses (8 - 16 units)
These courses are intended to extend the candidates' understanding on the aspects related to the educational system, its role and function in society and in the country's development, educational issues, policies and management, important theories linked to the curriculum, teaching and learning, effective schooling as well as the processes of teacher training in education.
3. Research Methodology Courses (8 units)
These courses are offered to broaden the knowledge base of candidates on the aspects of research, statistical reasoning as well as expertise to do research in education.
Each candidate is required to conduct a mini research project or a practicum (for Guidance and Counselling candidates only) in his/her area of specialisation. For the practicum, candidates are required to undergo an internship in relevant educational institutions which offer Guidance and Counselling services and conduct a mini research.
- Bachelor Degree with Honours or equivalent (minimum CGPA 2.75)
- Teaching qualifications and/or professional experience in the field of education
- At least two years of teaching experience or in a field of work related to education
- Fulfil other requirements determined by the individual areas or specialisation
Full-time : Minimum 12 months / Maximum 24 months
Part-time : Minimum 24 months / Maximum 48 months
For information on application, please click here.